Saturday, January 14, 2006

Blast From the Past

I was like a kid in a candy store today, literally. We went to Petaluma to window shop and hit the antique and thrift shops (more on my thrift shop scores in a minute)

Anyway, this new place has opened up. It is called Winsome Lass. It is a real candy store. Not only can you get Hershey bars and stuff like that, but it has candy I used to get when I was a kid. Candy I haven't seen in years. Candy and bubble gum cigarettes (so politically incorrect now), licorice pipes, wax lips, Boston Baked Beans, and foot long taffy. The also had cinnamon toothpicks. There was so much stuff. I could cheerfully spend a fortune there;)

I got the candy cigarettes (and bubble gum ones), a bubble gum cigar, a foot long taffy, some Chick-o-Sticks (my dad used to LOVE those) red hot toothpicks, and an Idaho Spud candy bar (which was NOT as good as I remember). Joseph wanted some Red Hots so I got those too. Next time I go over there I am buying the BIG Chick-O-Sticks and some Abba Zabbas;-)

Ah, memories.

Oh! The thrift shop! I found a whole bunch of teacher's pamphlets and posters from 1949 and 1950! They are so cool. The posters are both science related, and the booklets are something like *Everybody Likes Milk* I think I am going to frame and hang the posters. I love the graphics. One of the thrift shops was having an "every article of clothing $1.00" sale. I got a wool pea coat for a buck! (Like I NEED another coat) But hey, it was a dollar:-)

1 comment:

Pez said...

Cool shopping. I need to come visit you and have you take me thrift shop shopping. You always find the coolest deals!